There is an expectation of all Year 12 students to secure a work experience placement during the Summer Holidays. Although support and guidance is available in school, the responsibility is placed on students to find suitable placements.
The Head of Careers and the Careers Coordinator can provide students with details of employers which may have been previously been used by the school. However, vetting the placement is NOT the responsibility of the school. Employers used to taking on work experience students will have health and safety procedures in place. It is of vital importance that students and parents are satisfied that the placement will be safe and secure. If there are any doubts, students/parents should contact the school and an alternative placement where possible will be found. Further information for students may be found on this website.
There are a variety of reasons students are advised to take part in at least one week’s work experience during Year 12, a few of which are listed below:
- The experience in a work environment gives students the opportunity to see first hand the relevance and application of the subjects that are being studied at Advanced Level
- For many students this opportunity enables them to become more confident and mature individuals
- The inter-personal skills acquired during the experience will contribute to the life skills that ensure success in later life
- University courses are increasingly offering sandwich courses because there is increasing competition in the jobs market. Research has shown that some undergraduates owe their jobs to these placements
- The process of both finding and being involved in a work placement encourages independence and a good basis for University Applications
All students who study Vocational Courses such as Health & Social Care, partake in placements relevant to the course they are studying, on a weekly basis.
Students are advised each year if their aspirations are linked to a career in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science or teaching to ensure they find work experience related to their chosen field. This is crucial for university applications and interviews. More information on work experience can be found on this website.
Find out why work experience is so important here, and if you are finding that discovering the right work experience place for you is harder than you thought you can find some ideas by visiting the All About Careers website. For further advice on internships, visit this website.